Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Ingredients

I may not get into cooking ruts, but I do tend to use the same ingredients over and over, like cilantro, parsley, chicken, lemon, etc..

So, I decided to be adventurous and try something new in my cooking. This month I tried tarragon and short ribs.

The Verdict

Tarragon: Beautiful herb, but not to my taste. It has that "black licorice" flavor, kind of like fennel. YUCK. I just don't like that flavor profile AT ALL. I used it in a creamy sauce for chicken.

Short Ribs: I freaking worked my butt off all day to get these puppies tender. The day before Valentine's Day, I roasted the ribs, braised them with aromatics in a red wine sauce, strained the cooking liquid, and refrigerated them overnight to be able to skim the congealed fat off the top of the liquid. On Valentine's Day, I sauteed some bacon, parsnips, and pearl onions and added the cooking liquid and the short ribs to re-heat. Was the cooking marathon worth it? Absolutely. When placed over a potato puree, it was heaven on a Waterford china plate. I can't say exactly what Graham said, but I'll have you know, these ribs were damn good. Simply said.

My next mission: Collard greens.

5 comments:

The Boob Nazi said...

EEEEEEEWWWWW. I hate the black licorice flavor.

lisa said...

mmmmmmmmmmm. I've always been too nervous to try making ribs--where'd you get the recipe?

Shannon said...

That sounds amazing. I have been too chicken to try doing ribs (pardon the pun), but every time I have them I think that I should try making them. You should post the recipe!

Tyler said...

That's fancy, too bad in a week Graham will develop a rib allergy, right before he develops the oxygen allergy.

Tara said...

Wowie, those short ribs sound good. I like tarragon/fennel but Justin hates it, too.
Please tell me you've seen the Office episode with the collard greens (Michael, colored greens?) so funny..

The good, the bad, and the ugly..

One thing Graham and I always ask each other on our conversations.. what do you want to hear first: the good news or the bad news? We almo...