Tuesday, February 17, 2009

You never realize how good you have it..

Until it's almost gone.

I have a weird sense of pride that I never get sick. I'm almost immune to illnesses that ordinarily people get (the flu, cold, etc).. even though I have made that excuse many times before.

Then, I got told I have high cholesterol. One big blow to my pride.

Then this weekend, another big shot to my ego.

I wasn't feeling too great for the past week or so.. Sleep was hard coming, Graham had a cold, I had a sympathetic cold.. etc.

Then yesterday in bed, my heart started beating irregularly. It was like a normal horse just galloping around, when it would suddenly pause and stomp harder. This weird pattern kept going for about 10 minutes, and that was it. Graham and I were like, that was weird..

So we took a hike for the holiday.. about 2.5-3 miles, uphill and downhill. My heart was perfectly fine.. galloping like any normal heart would.

Back in the car about 15 minutes later, more irregular beats.. which continued for about 45 minutes this time. I got all freaked out, and Graham did too. So, we decided to go to urgent care to get it checked out. I had the feeling the irregular rhythm would disappear once scrutinized by others, which it did. Boy did I feel sheepish. The doctor blamed my heart palpitations on too much caffeine (I drank maybe 5 diet cokes on sunday, and more yesterday. By the way, do NOT drink diet pepsi max. It does bad things to you... and your heart.)

But my heart thing came back... and stayed. The whole night.

Graham did not sleep because he was so worried.

I kept tossing and turning.. just WILLING my heart to beat regularly. I even pounded it a little to try to shock it back to normal rhythm. No such luck.

Graham and I "woke up" pretty dang tired after last night's shenanigans.

Anyways, Graham talked to a cardiologist at work who said that such arrhythmias are common in women my age because we as an age group are prone to anxiety. She said the arrhythmias are pretty much harmless, but you should see a doctor if they continue.

So anyways, I am feeling fine now (my heart stopped being all crazy this morning after a couple of hours at work), except for the major lack of sleep. Ugh.

Life Lesson: Don't take your health for granted.

5 comments:

Jules AF said...

I SLIGHTLY LOLed reading that it was the caffeine.... hahahahahahahaha okay good thing I am stopping caffeine consumption immediately! (Today I drank a Diet Pepsi and cried because it was so delicious.)

Well, I hope your heart goes back! Why are you being so anxious???? Not a good idea! I'm the one who can't sleep because she's worried!

Tara said...

Geez, that would scare the crap out of me. The whole night?? aggh! I have never heard of that, but the caffeine/anxiety combo seems like it could do it. Sorry, try not to be too anxious about your heart beating irregularly. (sorry bad joke)

heidi nielsen said...

I totally see myself pounding my chest to try to "shock" it back to normal rythymn. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Sue said...

AND YOU DIDN'T CALL YOUR PARENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Aunt Joyce had all kinds of crazy things associated with her heart and caffeine. She thought she had serious problems (can't remember the specifics). So I hope that is all that is wrong with you.l Why ARE you anxious?

Krista said...

Sherri, I just was thinking it's been a little too long since I've said hi to you. So I get on your blog and read your scary heart story. Scary, I hope everything is ok. I was laughing about the high cholesterol. ha ha ha, us dietitians hate being humbled about our diet. I know. I've been there. So what else is new? How is work? I'm so sick of being a dietitian right now. I wish I would work out and cook full time. No counseling anybody on diabetes or renal failure. blah.
Anyway, just thinking about you, hope all is well and take care of yourself. Catch me up when you have a minute.

New home blog coming soon

I have received a lot of questions via email about how the home is holding up for the past 2.5 years. I plan to do a detailed update on our ...