Monday, October 13, 2008

Family Ties

So my "baby" sister Julie is here visiting us. She gets to experience the married Sherri: the very nice, domesticated, more patient, and great hostess Sherri. I even set out her nice towels in her room with a candy on top. Luckily, I am able to work four 10-hour shifts this week to have a whole day off to hang out with my sister. We're planning on going to Seattle tommorrow. Will we see snow again in the Pike Place Market, I don't know..

The reason for my title is the recent knowledge I've gained about my ancestors who lived in Washington. I knew that my grandpa was born in the Tacoma-area, but that's the extent of my knowledge. My mom recently hooked us up on this geneology website where we can have a virtual family tree and see our living and dead ancestors. I was looking at this website when I noticed this guy who lives in Olympia (my first cousin, twice removed) was entering all of the names and data. I then noticed that several of my relatives were born and/or died in Brem Brem and Gig Harbor (a town 20 miles south of Brem Brem).

So, I contacted this guy for the name of the cemetary, but he offered to show us around instead. So, Graham and I went to Gig Harbor to see my ancestors' graves in the old cemetary there. A street was still even named after them (Vernhardsson). Anyways, so I saw the graves of my dad's great-grandma, Jonina Vernhardsson, her husband, and my dad's grandma Sadie. It was seriously neat and totally random that we happened to move to a town so close to where my ancestors lived and died.

Before this all happened, Graham and I were talking about baby names (for the future), and how we wanted to keep family names. I couldn't really find any I liked for girl names, except for Sadie. So, my great-grandma, whom I've never met, will have a baby girl named after her one day. Sadie is a good name.. although I'm not sure about the spelling. Maybe.. Saydi or Sadi? What do you think? And yes, many dogs are named Sadie, but I still love the name anyways.

7 comments:

Andrea said...

We had neighbors in Provo who named their daughter Mercedes but called her Sadie and I know at least 2 people here whose girls have the same name. Hopefully you can find an original spelling.

Jules AF said...

Shut up about the snow! I had just been reading a book that was talking about snow in Seattle!!!!

Sue said...

Uhhhh, don't like the unusual spelling.

mallory said...

and cats... i have a cat named sadie. i'm sure your kid would be almost as cute as she is. also, the alternate spellings are so very utah (aka sick nasty).

Tyler said...

We call my cousin on my Dad's side Mercedes Cedie, I think you should stick with Sadie spelling. That's so cool about your ancestors in that area. I'm sure you know this, but Graham lived in Gig Harbor for a while too when they were little. Fun times. I'm sad we missed you last weekend, America and I both wanted to see you guys since it'll be a while since that'll happen again. Oh well. Maybe we'll pop into town again when you guys are still around.

Shannon said...

How random and cool that you got to see those graves and live so close. It gives you that weird connected feeling. Anyway, I love the name Sadie. I never think of dogs when I hear it. I also like the traditional spelling best, but my second choice is Sadi.

The Original TomKat said...

Just stick with the original Sadie. She'll never have to correct someone who mispells it and it's just a classic...remember your rant on people who make up names...please...just don't name her Saedye.

New home blog coming soon

I have received a lot of questions via email about how the home is holding up for the past 2.5 years. I plan to do a detailed update on our ...