Friday, June 14, 2019

The answer always is... Texas Caviar

What do I bring to a potluck?

What can I eat with tortilla chips?

What can I pack for lunch?

How can I increase my fiber intake?

.... Texas Caviar (or otherwise known as Cowboy Caviar)

I tried this recipe from Cook's Country on a whim a few years ago for an afternoon at a picnic with some friends. I had no idea how it would turn out, and I was a little nervous about bringing basically a pickled bean and pepper salad.

Oh my goodness, this recipe is GOOD. Us 6 adults easily polished this recipe off in an hour. I bring it to work with my multi-grain chips, I bring it to church activities, and I recommend it all.the.time as a dip and side dish. You can always adjust the spiciness with the jalapeno. Anyways, I highly recommend this bean dip!

Source: cookscountry.com


Texas Caviar


Ingredients
1/3cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
2 (15.5-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed
6 scallions, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
2 jalapeƱo chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 celery rib, chopped fine
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Instructions:
1) Whisk vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper together.
2) Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
3) Let flavors meld for at least an hour before serving (in refrigerator). Serve cold or at room temperature.

No comments:

New home blog coming soon

I have received a lot of questions via email about how the home is holding up for the past 2.5 years. I plan to do a detailed update on our ...