Saturday, October 31, 2009

Addiction

I don't even know what to blog about anymore. I barely blog, so I can't write about all of the stupid little things that happen to me that are funny.. which is what I like to write about.

Anyways, I'm going to blog about addiction. There are so many things out there that can cause addiction, and I recently realized I had a problem.

I have one. I am a recovering shopaholic.

It's taken me a long time to realize this. At BYU, I would shop weekly at Nordstrom and Banana Republic. I bought purses, sunglasses, outfits, designer jeans, and pointy-toed shoes. It helped fill the void in my life and made me feel better about myself. I would compare myself to other girls and think, well, at least I'm wearing expensive jeans. I would hit a major low when I actually would go shopping to find something specific and not be able to find a single clothing item. I would geta new outfit for all kinds of occasions, first date, first makeout, birthday, Easter, etc. When I moved to Portland, I started to like even more expensive clothes like BCBG.

Then, I met Graham and that void was filled... But the desire to shop has never gone away. I used to enjoy window shopping, but that just increased the size of the list of things I want in my head. I used to get emails from all of my favorite stores, like BR, JCrew, Macys, Nordstrom, etc, but it only made it worse.

So now, since we're strapped for cash.. I just have to suck it up and not shop or even look at clothes online. It has been really hard for me to deal with this addiction. But, when I look at my bills, it makes it just a little bit easier for me to overcome...

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I love to shop too. I've never really been much of a brand girl though, so that made it a slightly less expensive hobby. Shopping does make me feel better though. I'm all about bargain shopping. I shop sales racks and I'm weird about how I won't spend more than a certain amount (like $10) on a shirt. Not that I don't break my own rules occasionally, but the high from getting a bargain on something does it for me. Anyway, you're absolutely right that lots of different things can be addictions. Sorry that things are a little rough right now. Sounds like you are doing pretty great at dealing with it all.

lisa said...

Welcome to the I-can't-afford-new-clothes Club! It was a lot easier being a member back in the dorms because there was so much borrowing to be done. Unfortunately Ryan's clothes don't look half as cute on me as my roommate's clothes did.

I get my excitement out of pairing random pieces together. It may not look so hot, but it's a cheap thrill. :)

Darren, Tisha, Tanner & Tennyson said...

Be strong! Maybe you should get a plastic-silicon like bracelet, and have stamped in it "don't shop." Hahahaha. Love you! Did you get swine flu?

Sue said...

There are worse things to be addicted to! However, it is the controlling of the urge to BUY that is important (not necessarily the desire to shop). But a long list of "wants" doesn't really make anyone happy. That being said, someone's birthday is coming up and we can SHOP for something.

heidi nielsen said...

I practically got all of my Christmas shopping done this month. I had a reason to shop and I took full advantage it. I knew that I had money budgeted for Christmas and I was so excited to go shopping and spend it. I know Christmas is two months away, but I couldn't resist. It felt good.

New home blog coming soon

I have received a lot of questions via email about how the home is holding up for the past 2.5 years. I plan to do a detailed update on our ...